MAD About Food Fur Pets
Beverly, with MAD About Food Fur Pets has recently sent in an update with how her project is coming along. It is very exciting to see how the MAD program is really “making a difference”. Here’s her update… While the rest of the world is falling apart around us, I decided to find more good news for animal lovers! My MAD project is a plan that is being used all across the United States involving the elderly and their pets. Some organizations simply supply food to people having a hard time providing food for their pets. I want to spread the good news in hope that we can implement a similar plan here in my home town and surrounding areas.
Many elderly live alone and a pet is the only companionship they have. Studies have shown that pets improve the quality of life for everyone. I won’t go into that because everyone knows that already. I WILL go into what many of the elderly are facing today. Being financially unable to feed their pets, which puts the pet in danger of being placed in a shelter or given away. Either option is heartbreaking to the owner.
Meals on Wheels has started a program in many areas of the country. Now along with food being delivered to those on the program, they also deliver pet food. While each reference I’ve found has a different method of doing this, they all have a common goal. Keep the pet with the owner and provide food and cat litter free of charge. Both money and food donations are needed to keep this successful program going.
This service has eased the burden of the elderly of how to feed their four legged companions. Before this program was put into place, many had to share their own meals with their pet. Offering pet food ensures the elderly can eat their entire meal knowing that their best friend also has food. A lot of people may say that we should forget the pets and put the people first. They don’t realize that a companion animal is a best friend (or child) to many who live alone. The same holds true for families that have fallen on hard times.Removing the animal because times are tough is simply not an option.
I want to make sure the ideas I’ve listed here get put into place. The elderly, the pets and the animal shelters will all benefit because fewer animals will be brought in and labeled “Can’t Keep.” And fewer hearts will be broken.
- I have been working with Meals On Wheels to help establish clients that will benefit from my program.
- Donny and I was featured on the front page of our local newspaper explaining my program and how it got started. I have gotten a great response from the article, including a phone call with a donation of 1500LBs of pet supplies and 6 new clients!
- I have received many monetary and pet food donations from Donny.commers as well as from the community.
- I just signed a photo release form to have my MAD program and photos featured in the Meals On Wheels Oct. Newsletter.
- Have contacted the Boy Scouts to help with fund raisers and bagging the pet food for me.
- Have made my second round of deliveries!